The country may still have restrictions in place but you are still progressing in pregnancy and needing support to stay safe and well. Here are some of the options we have available at Beehive during this time that might be of interest to you.
As always, we recommend you get advice from your midwife or doctor if you have any concerns about your health during pregnancy.
Countess of Chester Gestational Diabetes Information
If you are pregnant and been diagnosed with gestational diabetes - What next?
Within the next 3- 5 days: Collecting your blood glucose/sugar monitoring kit:
- Here at Beehive Healthcare we will be open 9 -11am on Tuesdays and 1-3pm on Wednesdays to allow you to collect your blood sugar monitoring kit. Although it states “appointment only” on our website, we will be expecting you between these times, please report to the reception desk and we will show you where to collect your pack from. Please note we have free parking directly behind the building. Here is a link to Google Maps for directions if you are unsure where we are.
- Both us and The Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust are taking extra measures to support social distancing.
- Once you have your blood glucose monitoring kit, please use this link for in depth advice from AgaMatrix regarding how to test your blood sugar levels: Link to AgaMatrix.co.uk support videos
Follow up appointments
- The Countess of Chester will book you a review appointment to be held via Skype (Thursday afternoons) with their diabetes nurse Deborah and diabetes dietitian Emma. This is detailed within the video above.
Contact the team at The Countess of Chester
- If you have any questions or concerns please contact the team via email on firstname.lastname@example.org or on phone 01244363230 (Email & phone messages will be checked daily, Monday-Friday). Unfortunately at Beehive we are unable to answer any questions about your care or offer any advice and so can only direct you to the team for any questions you might have.
Confident Birth Chester - Hypnobirthing and Real Birth Workshop
Here is her story:
"In my twenties I became fascinated in women's birth stories, but the underlying current seemed fairly negative sadly, challenging me to embark on training to be a midwife to make a difference to this. I have been blessed to work as a midwife in Chester for most of my career, and I spent 2 years in Cambodia, South East Asia as a volunteer maternal health adviser. I was a midwife before I became a wife and mother, many people ask whether my knowledge put me off having a baby - absolutely not, in fact I feel so lucky and enriched by being a mother myself. Knowledge is power, I already knew a lot about birth, I used a hypnobirthing breathing technique, and I actually enjoyed my labour even with a few complications along the way. I was helped by being cared for by staff that I knew well and my husband who had attended classes with me, so I felt totally at ease in hospital as it was a place I was very familiar and comfortable with - all things in place to support and enhance my birth experience. I had been at so many births prior to my own baby's and knew it was going to be amazing, and a very special day, and it was!
When I returned to work as a community midwife, I began to see birth in a whole different way, by supporting women birthing in their home environment, I saw a big change in the nature and power of women birthing their babies. I went on to train in hypnobirthing with Katharine Graves and it was a literal penny dropping moment, as I discovered more about the environment of birth and the influences on the hormones, it began making a whole new lot of sense. Hypnobirthing focuses on techniques to bring about changes in the widespread belief that birth is a negative experience and problematic.
As a busy wife, mother and midwife I would unwind by reading more and more books on birthing, and my life was positively shaped by Ina May Gaskin, Sara Wickham, and by the wonderful 'Positive Birth Book' by Milli Hill, finally we were hearing more about choice, control and positivity.
I realized that the answer to positive birth lay in good quality antenatal education to understand what happens during birth, how we can best prepare and things that we can do to help. I recognize that not everyone wishes to commit to hypnobirthing, and access to antenatal education is limited, So I looked to newer models of teaching available in the UK with FEDANT and RCM accreditation, and learnt about the Real Birth Company designed by wonderful Midwife Zoe Wright. Zoe has my admiration and respect for creating such a wonderful course that answered my inner midwifery curiosities and channels my keenness to empower woman and their birth partners with confidence, knowledge and belief in birth.
Confident Birth Chester is about quality antenatal and parent education, combining both the Real Birth Workshop and Hypnobirthing with insight to spinning babies techniques - to suit the needs of the parents to be in the Chester area, and in fact anywhere."
The Baby Ultrasound Clinic - Chester
There are restrictions in place and all bookings must be made with them directly. This way they can let you know what is currently available and any restrictions that will be in place when you attend.
To book or for more information:
Central booking lines: 0333 444 0174 OR 01204 774818